Children’s Class Descriptions
Descriptions show suggested age guidelines; however, children are carefully evaluated and placed individually.
CHILDREN’S BALLET - A performing Art combining poses and steps with flowing movement. Using technique as a liberating force, each student is encouraged to express their individual strengths and personality through dance.
- Level A-I -A dance awakening class for potty-trained 2 ½ – 3 ½ year olds, introducing young children to the joys of movement and music through dance, tumbling, percussion and imaginative play. Recommended one class per week.
- Level A - A pre-ballet class for 3 ½ - 5 year olds that will introduce children to more formalized movement and initial ballet postures through the use of organized play. Recommended one class per week.
- Level B -Ballet Class for 5 and young 6 year olds that presents the primary curriculum, expanding on the initial postures and movement from Level A. Now is the time to learn to do everything with a little more care, but with just as much enjoyment. Recommended one class per week.
- Level C– Ballet Class for children who are 6 years old as of August and who have reached the appropriate physical development. Additional elements to the Level B curriculum will help prepare students for the Primary Division. Recommended one class per week.
- Level I -The young dancer ages 7- 12 years old will begin to work through the class like a professional dancer. The exercises are divided into two parts – those taken at the barre and those in the centre. Required two classes per week.
- Level II - This level is for children who have accomplished the elements of Level I. Level II introduces more exercises at the barre and a larger vocabulary of movement in the centre. Required two classes per week.
- Level III – For those students who have accomplished the elements of Level II, this class will introduce pirouettes and pre–pointe exercises and will develop the strength required for more mature dance technique. There will be additional performing opportunities at this level. Required two classes per week, three classes per week very highly recommended.
- Level IV – For students who have advanced in the elements of Level III including pre-pointe. The curriculum requires the strength gained from more mature physical development and will progress towards more complex choreography and a substantial increase in pointe work. There will be additional performing opportunities at this level. Required three classes per week as well as one alternate discipline.
TAP – Basic tap moves and percussive dance appropriate for 7-11 year olds.
CAPOEIRA - An Art that synthesizes elements of dance, gymnastics, martial arts and music. Your children will learn to work with and combine all these elements to create the capoeira game. Appropriate for 5-13 yr olds.
MODERN DANCE I – A class featuring exhilarating, flowing choreography and expressive movements appropriate for 8-12 year olds.
MODERN DANCE II – This Horton Technique class will use more advanced elements and choreography. This class is by recommendation or invitation only.
MODERN DANCE III – Further development of the Horton Technique, developing the body as an instrument of movement. Enrollment in secondary division ballet required.
JAZZ/HIP-HOP I – An open level recreational dance class blending jazz and hip/hop, appropriate for 7-10 year olds. No prior dance experience necessary.
JAZZ/HIP-HOP II – An open level class for the pre-teen/teen dance student. This class introduces foundational technical elements, including, stretch/strengthening and rhythmic sequences. This recreational class is a creative, fun and hip class. Appropriate for ages 11+. Prior dance experience preferred, but not necessary.
CONTEMPORARY JAZZ III– An intermediate level jazz class aimed at exposing students to a more broad range of jazz vocabulary. The class develops an increased technical awareness by focusing on strength/flexibility, agility, syncopation and choreographic memory. Enrollment in the Secondary Division Ballet course and/or the Modern Dance course is mandatory. This class is by recommendation or invitation only.
CONTEMPORARY JAZZ IV– An intermediate-advanced level jazz class that integrates elements from various popular styles (funk, classic, contemporary etc.) and introduces more complex leaps and turns associated with contemporary jazz technique. This class increases technical accuracy and aims to enhance the students’ expressive performance experience. Enrollment in the Secondary Division Ballet course is mandatory. This class is by recommendation or invitation only.